Subject: Re: *** FingerD ***
To: Evil Pete <shipley@merde.dis.org>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/1994 20:55:42
You write:

# >
# >Note, this .fingerrc can control other things you wish to be known about
# >you.  My finger/fingerd (not finished yet), will execute a ~/.fingerrc
# >if it exists, and do the "normal" thang if it does not.  The output of
# >the ~/.fingerrc is displayed back to the fingeree...
#
# who will this ~/.fingerrc run as?

Well, right now as the owner of ~/.fingerrc, if the permissions on that
file are ok (-??x------).  I was thinking of using "nobody", but then
the ~/.fingerrc files would have to be SUID "user" for the user to be
able to log the fingers to his own files.  I figure that one program
running root from inetd will be easier/more secure, than N SUID
programs (potentially shell scripts).

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner  |    PGP2.x Public Key available at       |
|   (204)725-3342     |  'finger weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA'   |
| %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, the operating system has been overthrown |