Subject: Re: Multiple net interfaces
To: Ken Hornstein <epiwrl!wrl.EPI.COM!kenh@uunet.UU.NET>
From: Robert Shady <rls@zeus.id.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/1994 13:50:48
>>Question #1:
>>	If you have multiple interfaces to the same network, is there a
>>	way to load-level between them?  Ie:  If I have two ethernet
>>	interfaces to the Internet on one machine, will it use both
>>	interfaces equally therefor effectively doubling my throughput?

> I honestly don't know what will happen here, but I suspect that it will only
> use one of the interfaces.  But I can't imagine how this would be useful,
> since your throughput is really a function of the Ethernet; you certainly
> won't gain anything.

I don't know if I would say "won't gain anything", I imagine there would be
some speed up, although after calculating, it probably wouldn't be anywhere
close to double..  This was really meant to be used in a SLIP/PPP situation.

> >Question #2:
> >	Is the above possible with multiple SLIP/PPP interfaces?

> Telebit netblazers claim to be able to do this, but only to another netblazer.
> I suspect the short answer to this is "no".

Right.  So does the Livingston Portmaster Terminal Server, but I don't have
one of those, hence the question.  Somehow, there must be a way to connect
two SLIP/PPP devices to a dial-up SLIP/PPP provider and have 2*(modem speed)
throughput (or more!).

> >Question #5:
> >	Anybody have INN setup & configured for NetBSD?  I have the source
> >	compiled, just a little bit confused as to how to actually get the
> >	news onto my system.  Anyone that could outline the steps necessary
> >	to physically get news ONTO my system, and allow users to read it
> >	via NN would be worshiped...

> You have to arrange for a new feed from some kind soul.  They will arrange to
> have the news delivered to your system via NNTP.  Note that if you want
> outgoing news, you'll have to setup your system to send news to them.

Granted.  I probably wasn't specific enough in my main message.  I have a
news feed, that is taken care of.  That was the easy part.  Now, what do
I do to get the news to feed!?!? ;)