Subject: Instructions to go from 0.9 to current
To: None <ziff@eecs.umich.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/1994 10:16:38
This is an old post I've saved on the subject.  I've made some
additions to account for all that's happened in the past three months.
This information should definitely be added to the 386BSD FAQ, so
people who've upgraded from 0.9 recently please comment.

>Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 09:57:06 -0500
>From: Charles Hannum <mycroft@duality.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
>To: storm@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
>CC: current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
>
>To ammend the original suggestion:

 cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make; make && make install
 cd /usr/src/usr.bin/tsort; make && make install
 cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas; make && make install
(you may want to 'make clean' after each of these in order to have
 them be recompiled with -current's gcc later.)
>cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install
>cd /usr/src/include; make && make install
>   setenv LDSTATIC -static
>   setenv NOPIC
    setenv NOPROFILE
(keeps profiled libs from being built until later; saves time.)
>cd /usr/src/lib/libc; make && make install
>cd /usr/src/gnu/lib/libmalloc; make && make install
>   cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas; make && make install
(skip the line above, as gas has already been rebuilt.)
>   cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld; make && make install
># You'll probably get some barfage from the above because ld.so won't
># build yet.  Ignore it and install ld anyway.
(the previous lines no longer apply.  ld.so isn't built if NOPIC is
 set.)
>   cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc; make && make install
>   unsetenv NOPIC LDSTATIC
    unsetenv NOPROFILE
 cd /usr/src/usr.bin/ar; make && make install
>   cd /usr/src/lib ; make && make install
(you may want to 'make clean' at this point in /usr/src/lib/libc to
 get libc compiled with -current's gcc.)
>   cd /usr/src/gnu/lib ; make && make install
(you may want to 'make clean' now in /usr/src/gnu/lib/libmalloc for
 the same reason.)
>cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld; make && make install
>   cd /usr/src; make && make install
>
>You'll probably need the latest sources for this to work.

I also build statically some tools that are linked dynamically by
default, so I don't get a chicken-and-egg problem if I manage to toast
ld.so or libc.so.*.  Those tools are:

make gas gcc(cc1) ar tsort sort join ranlib install

Let me know if there are any additions that should be made to this
list, as well.
--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer                              voice: (617)461-4030