Subject: Re: A couple problems...
To: Robert Shady <rls@zeus.id.net>
From: Evil Pete <shipley@merde.dis.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/1994 10:25:19

>4) What is the best way to have multiple machines share the same password
>   file?  I don't have any Suns on the network, they are all NetBSD machines.
>   Is there a PD "yp" implementation or "NIS" implementation available?
>   Should I just "rcp" the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files every night?
>   Should I NFS mount the /etc/passwd file?

(old sysad trick #45)

if you chose to "rcp", I would suggest you use rdist instead because
rdist will copy the data file into a tmp file on the destination host
then move it in to place; where as rcp will truncate the file them fill
it up with the new data, thus if you have a crash during a transfer you
are *fucked*.

		-Pete