Subject: diskless netboot
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/17/1994 22:37:47
Since I still haven't been able to get NetBSD-i386 to boot diskless
from another NetBSD-i386 nfs-serve with the NetBSD-netboot but it
doesn't seem to work.
Anyway I went and got the FreeBSD version of netboot together with
diskless_cfg and compiled it on NetBSD (out of the box except for
NFSMNAMELEN=NFS_NAMELEN, the M must be an old Typo) anyway it compiles
fine, and boots the config file (very useful as it means one can
use the same kernel for all diskless pc's) and after that the netbsd
kernel. There is only one problem and that is that it then does a
hard reboot when loading the kernel. Now if anybody feels like finding
out where it's going wrong, they are invited to. The I've put a tarfile
of netboot.freebsd.tar.gz in ~ftp/pub/misc together with diskless_cfg.tar.gz
(with the typo fixed)

Go ahead.
Cheers

--
The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current	release=doc host=wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de hostbase=/src base=/usr \