Subject: Re: 'nother idea: /kern/unix virtual file
To: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1994 20:33:55
> /kern/unix would then be a "virtual" symbolic link.  I've done
> this kind of thing, but not for UNIX.  Of course, for diskless boot, you have
> a problem:  the kernel may not be *available* -- what then?

or, what if the sysad boots off of /netbsd.test then moves it to /netbsd.
looking into kernfs would then get you the wrong thing once again...

using kernfs is *NOT* a good solution to this problem, for a variety
of reasons:
	(1) kernfs shouldn't be necessary, ever
	(2) it *doesn't* solve the problem.

> I think a much better solution is to have all this information available via
> a system call like cmu's table() or sysinfo() or something like that.

or 4.4's sysctl()...

cgd