Subject: Re: wd.c crashes/hard errors
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
From: Dirk Steinberg <steinber@machtnix.ert.rwth-aachen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1994 17:41:37

    >> steinber@machtnix.ert.rwth-aachen.de (Dirk Steinberg) sez:

    >> steinber@machtnix.ert.rwth-aachen.de (Dirk Steinberg) >>

    Michael> [various problems with Quantum LPS IDE hard drives
    Michael> deleted]

    Michael> I'd just like to insert a data point here that I have
    Michael> been running 386BSD 0.0 and 0.1, NetBSD 0.8, 0.9 and
    Michael> current on one and then two Conner CP3104 IDE hard drives
    Michael> for about two years now.  And, although I used to get the
    Michael> hang bug occasionally (which was fixed in mid- December
    Michael> with the timeout patches to wd.c), I've never had the
    Michael> damage to my filesystem you guys are talking about.
    Michael> Maybe it's specifically that drive that has problems?

Maybe. But the drive otherwise has an excellent reputation. I know
many people, including myself, who have used this drive extensively
for DOS, Windows, OS/2 and Linux (the latter quite a lot) without any
problems whatsoever. So it cannot be just the drives fault. This
explanation is way too simple.

    Michael> 				--Michael

Dirk

Dirk W. Steinberg - RWTH Aachen - Internet email: steinber@ert.rwth-aachen.de
Aachen University of Technology / IS2-Integrated Systems in Signal Processing
Rhein.Westf.Tech.Hochsch. Aachen / Integrierte Systeme der Signalverarbeitung
Templergraben 55 / D-52056 Aachen / phone:+49 241 807879 / fax:+49 241 807631
Home address: Kleikstr. 63, D-52134 Herzogenrath,Germany/phone: +49 2406 7225