Subject: re: wd.c crashes/hard errors
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, dtc@stan.xx.swin.oz.au>
From: Marc Wandschneider <marcwan@microsoft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1994 07:05:39
----------
| From: Douglas Crosher  <netmail!dtc@stan.xx.swin.oz.au>
|

| Yes I got this too , I find this very strange as the IDE drive should
| not give hard errors? Typically the damage to the root partition was
| so bad that I could not reboot!

	welcome to the wonderful world of the wd.c driver.  i had the following
	things happen to my machine when running generic 0.9 with two
	ide drives:

	1. all of /etc/ disappeared. [and /sbin/init]
	2. a large percentage of the files in / partition were replaced with
	files of the same size, except the contents were all output of ls -alF
	of /src/XFree86/mit/server/ddx/x386/etc/accel
	3. a large percentage of files in the / partition were replaced with
	random block and character special files with invalid major and minor
	device numbers for the most part.

	all happened on different occasions, and all required a complete
	newfs'ing of the root partition and reinstall of that partition.

	made me wish i had a tape drive.

| 	I was able to restore my system by doing a disklabel, and
| putting a clean fs on the root partition, then reinstalling all the
| file that were on that partition.  The disk errors did not re-appear
| till a few days later when the f..ken thing crashed again.  This time
| I removed the second drive and things have been fine.

	the problem doesn't seem to be going away, despite numerous fixes
	that seem to be circulating.  i basically solved the problem by
	ditching the two ide drives and going scsi [i also did that for
	the dma], but that seems to be the more expensive solution, and not
	the way to attract the vast majority of ide users ;-)

							toodlepip!
							marc 'em.