Subject: Re: Xfree86 on current [Snapshot report - 05 Feb tar_files]
To: None <Matthieu.Herrb@laas.fr>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1994 09:48:57
> You wrote (in your message from Tue  8)
>  > 2.  We still need some more up-to-date XFree86 2.0 binaries and
>  > libraries for -current.  Can someone look into this as a matter of
>  > urgency please? Please once more? (Every time I compile an X client,
>  > I get the RRS text message spewing up on my xterm. And some of Mark's
>  > clients don't run, like xtetris).
>
> The problem comes from the existing libs in /usr/X386/lib that are
> found before the new ones in the build tree. That's perhaps a bug in
> ld... (-L should have the higher precedence no ?)
>
> The solution I found is to move away /usr/X386/lib during the make.

No, that's not the problem at all.  When the assembler was changed to
deal with the new syntax, all the (shared) libraries had to be
re-compiled, otherwise a whole string of RRS text messages puke up all
over the screen.  It's not just X - the other shared libs all do this.
The solution is to recompile those libraries.  Now, as I don't have
enough disc space to do such a thing, I was asking, if someone had
already done it, to let me know where those shared libraries are.  The
ones I have are from the beginning of December, and still have some
internal dependencies on the old ctype array in libc - which is why my
X clients coredump when I run them.

> The new version number for libc explains why the problem don't arise
> for it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this.

> PS: I'm in the process of setting up a binary distribution of XFree86
>     2.0 for -current (updated every week or so). I'll tell more when
>     it's ready.

Please let me know when it's done, and I'll put it in the snapshot report.

Tschuess,
Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			     +44 252 346377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.