Subject: Snapshot report - 05 Feb tar_files
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1994 06:40:23
Snapshot report.
================

Me: agc@uts.amdahl.com (Alistair G. Crooks)

Source: tar_files, 5th February 1994, from agate.berkeley.edu

Base version of NetBSD: 0.9.

Upgrade from previous -current: yes, 29 Jan tar_files from
agate.berkeley.edu

Machine specifics: 386DX/40, 8MB RAM, 340 MB IDE (Conner), VGA card

Other software: Mark Weaver's shared XFree86 2.0, from 1 December 1994.

Tar files integrity: good.

Additional things to do during upgrade: none

Any warnings during compilation: various, not noted

Any problems during make: groff (see below) Also, my machine rebooted
once while compiling iostream.C in .../gnu/lib/g++. This wasn't
reproducible.

Observations:
I haven't been able to spend much time this week doing things, but
I was able to build a cross-linker for VSTa - just waiting for the
standalone boot loader now.
There've been very few obvious changes this week, and the new kernel
was only about 4K larger than the previous week's.  I don't know if
anyone noticed in passing that the USL vs.  BSDi lawsuit's been
settled.

Notes:

1.  There's a new version of sed, and the leapseconds file has been
updated.

2.  Mike Long's keyboard problem is back, or never went away - this
applies to Gateway 2000 and Trackpoint something-or-others.
Workaround is to hammer on the keyboard during autoconfig.

3.  The problem with groff not building, reported by Havard Eidnes
last week, and rehashed by myself, is still present.  The workaround
is to take the groff entry from /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/Makefile.

4.  Theo de Raadt's making a list of SCSI boards supported by NetBSD.
So if you've got a Hokey-Cokey 2000 that you don't think anyone else
has got working, get in touch with him.

5.  I'll offer to do the same with Ethernet cards.

General verdict: Very little change this week - what worked then
still works now, what didn't still doesn't.

And the usual afterthoughts:

1.  I've been exchanging mail with people who can't get rxvt to work
(I can't either, but I haven't really had time) Anyone interested in
nailing this little blighter, please get in touch.

2.  We still need some more up-to-date XFree86 2.0 binaries and
libraries for -current.  Can someone look into this as a matter of
urgency please? Please once more? (Every time I compile an X client,
I get the RRS text message spewing up on my xterm. And some of Mark's
clients don't run, like xtetris).

3.  There've been a lot of questions asked to which the answers are
already available - for those of you new to the mailing lists, they
are archived on sun-lamp - check there first.

4.  Congratulations to Sue and Eugene, a little baby girl (6lbs 13oz),
born at 06:12 today.

Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                      +44 252 346377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.