Subject: various upgrade comments (jan5 ->feb6)
To: Luke Mewburn <lm@rmit.edu.au>
From: Dirk Steinberg <steinber@vercingetorix.ert.rwth-aachen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1994 12:31:29

    Luke> A few comments on upgrading from the tar files just before
    Luke> january 5, and sources supped on february 6:

    Luke> - I hacked share/mk/sys.mk's CFLAGS to -O2 -pipe -m486. I
    Luke> feel the Need for Speed. This caused some minor problems -
    Luke> more info below.

I did exactly the same thing. I even added -fomit-frame-pointer. I
asked before on this group why -O == -O1 was the default, but I got no
reply.

	[...]
    Luke> - unset LDSTATIC, NOPIC, and remade the libraries. some
    Luke> points here: - lib/libm/common_source/pow.c doesn't compile
    Luke> with -O2. Maybe it's a gcc thing, maybe not. Setting cflags

I just recompiled almost everything (except games, uucp, groff and
cc1obj), including the kernel and shared libs (even made libgcc.so.0.0
and libm.so.0.0) with '-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe' and the system
is running quite happily (with the new kernel). I used current-940207.
I had no major problem once I got beyond the RSS text relocation
warnings. A large part of this (except the kernel; I'll try that next)
was even done with gcc-2.5.8.

    Luke> to -O for this file fixes things - how do I get libm to use
    Luke> the ASM stuff in libm/i387? or isn't it recommended. (I have

Duno. Haven't looked at it yet.

	[...]
    Luke> - /sys/arch/i386/boot doesn't like being compiled with
    Luke> -m486. -O2 -pipe is fine, but when I added -m486 they went
    Luke> BFC. (Bug F.ck Crazy :) Again, some creative hacking got me
    Luke> back here.

??? No problems for me, here.

    Luke> - a learning experience: I removed /usr/lib/libc.so.2.1

Maybe that's the point. I was reasonably up-to date when I started.
Going from libc.so.3.0 to libc.so.4.0 was the hard part.

	[...]
    Luke> well as a new kernel. I'll keep the list upto date on how
    Luke> this stuff compiles with -O2 -pipe -m486.

Why don't you add -fomit-frame-pointer? Linus does that for all
compilations (except kernel/sched.c) too. This gives you an extra
register in some functions.

	[...]
    Luke> - is it normal for even the latest tsort to complain about
    Luke> cycles in data, etc, for libc?

I saw that as well. Don't know where it comes from.

    Luke> Well, that's about it. Some informative bits, some
    Luke> questions. Hope it's useful.

	-- Dirk

Dirk W. Steinberg - RWTH Aachen - Internet email: steinber@ert.rwth-aachen.de
Aachen University of Technology / IS2-Integrated Systems in Signal Processing
Rhein.Westf.Tech.Hochsch. Aachen / Integrierte Systeme der Signalverarbeitung
Templergraben 55 / D-52056 Aachen / phone:+49 241 807879 / fax:+49 241 807631
Home address: Kleikstr. 63, D-52134 Herzogenrath,Germany/phone: +49 2406 7225