Subject: RE: VM in NetBSD
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu,>
From: Marc Wandschneider <marcwan@microsoft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/1994 08:28:00
----------
| From: Dirk Steinberg  <netmail!steinber@allesodernix.ert.rwth-aachen.de>
|
| If you have less swapping space that RAM, a system crash might write a
| dump over the end of the swap partition and ruin your hard disk. Is
| this still true for NetBSD?

	i'm not very familiar with the vm system under *bsd, but i do
	know the following:

	-last i tried it [ a while back], if you run out of vm, the machine
	locks up.

	-freebsd has fixed it so that when you run out of memory/vm, processes
	start dying instead of the system [arguably, the way it should be :-)].

	i have no idea what netbsd does for this... my vm knowledge is quite
	limited.

	nowadays, i just create enough swap space so that i don't have to worry
	about running out---with a big enough disk, you don't mind as much :-)

							marc 'em.