Subject: Re: bootblocks, VCs, gcc
To: None <davidb@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: S|ren Schmidt <sos@login.dkuug.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1994 08:49:36

> > BTW: Is there any good reason why NetBSD does *not* adopt VC's
> > (virtual consoles)? They are indispensable when working without X,
> > i.e. on a laptop. Linux even offers mouse-based cut-and-paste between
> > VC's ala xterm. Nice. Does syscons or pcvt work with NetBSD-current
> > and XFree-2.0?

Yes, syscons works with NetBSD-0.9 and NetBSD-current, and of
course with Xfree-2.0 (including multibe servers on different
VC's)

> I'm not in a position to comment on things like syscons, but what's the
> problem with pccons on a laptop?  Have you ever looked at `window`?
> It works great for me.
>
> My login on my laptop is set to invoke it if I log in via the console.
> Window even supports cut-and-paste, although not with a mouse.

There are things that window/screen/etc cannot solve (this is
mostly related to ioctl calls), but besides this they kind of
give the same functionality.

> - David B.

                                           Soeren Schmidt
                                           sos@login.dkuug.dk