Subject: Re: problems booting scsi
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, michaelv@iastate.edu>
From: Shao Ai Wu <m-sw2360@MISSJANE.CS.NYU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1994 21:27:45
> I just installed my awesome new EISA SCSI-2 card and drive, and
> everything is working really great, except for booting.  My sources
> are from yesterday's sup.
>
> If I boot from my IDE drives like I always have, everything works
> great, and I can mount the SCSI drive with no problem.  But if I
> disable the IDE drives and reboot the computer, it goes thru all the
> bios checks, the floppy drive light flashes, the SCSI light flashes
> briefly, then the machine reboots.  It doesn't even get to the part
> where it asks what kernel to boot.
>
> In addition, if I type "hd(0,a)/netbsd" at the kernel boot prompt, it
> boots from the IDE drive, anyway!  ARGH!
>
> I do have a kernel and a valid root and usr partition on the scsi
> drive that mount fine when booted from the ide drive.
>
> I used "disklabel -r -w sd0 Q425s Q425s /usr/mdec/sdboot
> /usr/mdec/bootsd" to label the disk.  Is this all I need to do to get
> the bootblocks onto the scsi disk?  Is this the correct incantation?
> Any help from scsi/ide drive users appreciated!
>
>				--Michael

I don't think you can boot your computer from the SCSI disk
with the presents of your IDE (disabled in the BIOS setup).

With the presents of an IDE controller, your SCSI controller
recognizes itself as a secondary controller.  Disabling
the IDE drive from your BIOS means you don't have a bootable
hard drive [drive C:].

If you want to physically disable your IDE drive, you should
open your computer and disable your IDE controller completely,
and then disable your IDE drive from the BIOS setup.

Shao Wu
m-sw2360@cs.nyu.edu