Subject: Things not working in latest current.
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Randy Terbush <sierra!randy>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1994 02:11:00
I am resending this to the list since I have yet to see it appear.  My
appologies if this has made it's rounds.

From: randy (Randy Terbush)
To: dsndata!sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu!current-users
Subject: Thing not working in latest current.
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 94 07:44:59 CST

I have a _short_ list of things that I have not been able to get
working in current for the past several months.  Perhaps I am doing
something wrong, and can be straightened out on the howto.  These
problems have persisted since my original installation of
netbsd-current this past September.

1.  dd does not work.  I am trying to do
    'dd if=filename of=/dev/fd0a bs=1k'  and have yet to get it to work.
    I get the following errors at the command line.  I have also tried
    this with every other floppy device, including the raw devices.

    sierra:/users/randy/tmp
    => dd if=./dos_disk1 of=/dev/fd0a bs=1k
    dd: /dev/fd0a: Input/output error
    1+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    0 bytes transferred in 3 secs (0 bytes/sec)

    I have discovered that the only way this works is to DOS format
    the disk first.  Why does dd care about the disk format?

2.  'who' never reports logins on serial devices.  I recently thought I
    had this solved by adding the device names to /etc/ttys, but that did
    not effect the problem.

3.  The system time is slow by 1 hour.  I use 6 dst in my kernel
    config.  /etc/localtime is a copy of
    /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central.

All help is appreciated.

--