Subject: Re: strange lockups in X
To: Marc Wandschneider <marcwan@microsoft.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1994 00:04:54
Marc Wandscheider writes:

> 	basically, any program that uses more than a few hundred k of memory
> 	causes the machine to lock up [ in or out of x].

I haven't had any problems lately. I ran X with emacs, xpaint and xv
running at the same time yesterday (on my 8Mb 386/40), and it
worked without problems. Not without swapping, of course :) My
tree is about as current as it can be, and I've just recently recompiled
all my binaries (execpt my X binaries).

It could be a specific device driver that is messing up, maybe as
soon as a swap partitition is accessed? Maybe you should try
comparing what you have in your kernel to people who don't
have any problems.

- Frank

| I am not sure what a .signature is for, but my mom told me to make one.    |
| Frank van der Linden, vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl                                  |