Subject: Re: strange lockups in X
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, Mike.Long@analog.com>
From: Marc Wandschneider <marcwan@microsoft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/1994 11:12:29

----------
| From: Mike Long  <netmail!mike.long@analog.com>
| >
| >When I run my normal X setup, with several clients at once, some from the
| >net, and including a changing background picture frob going all the time
| >(at nice -20) so the X server never sits still, after a short time of use
| >(before today's kernel it happened immediately) I can do X things and type
| >into my xterms, but the shells seem not to be able to fork; I can keep
| >using my emacs until it tries to fork a subprocess, at which point it
| >wedges completely.
|
| Sounds like you're running out of process table entries to me.  Try
| increasing 'maxusers' in your kernel config (A good idea for X users
| anyway).  You may also want to make sure that you have enough ptys.

	my problems with lockups seemed to initially only be in x, but now
	i think i have narrowed the problem down:

	basically, any program that uses more than a few hundred k of memory
	causes the machine to lock up [ in or out of x].

	i crashed the machine yesterday trying to rebuild the kernel, and
	today, trying to view some .ppm files from ray tracers and the like.

	when i say crash, it just completely locks up, and all activity and

								marc 'em.