Subject: Sanpshot report 15 January -current tar files
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/1994 06:16:45
> Most of the time, one sees only problem reports on this list.
> I believe it would be very useful if some users who update on a semi
> regular basis could provide a report along the lines of:
>
> 	SUPed sources on date xyz (or tar_files from date xyz).
> 	Compiled ok, installed ok, runs like a dream!
> 	Noticed that feature ABC {now works,has been added,...}
>
> Personally, updating my /usr/src is a very time consuming process
> (involving trips in car with tapes :-), so I am unable to update
> regularly.  Reports such as the above (particularly from folk using
> tar_file sets) would help me and I'm sure others, pick a good time to
> update.   The problem reports mainly have the effect of making one
> delay updating if the machine is currently stable...

OK, I propse the following to be used as a template, and made better
by people who can think of more relevant things to add, delete, change etc.

> I am still running the 20 Nov tar_file set (one of the first with
> shared libs I think) and am happy to report that it has been very
> reliable.  I've had a few power failures and added hardware, so
> uptimes are not as impressive as they could be, but the system has a
> good solid feel to it.

So if anyone can think of anything I've missed, then please mail me.
I try to upgrade using the Saturday's tar_files when I come in on Monday
morning, and it usually takes me most of Monday to get the files onto
my PC, then most of Tuesday to upgrade. (Yes, I've got a job to do as
well).

Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			     +44 252 346377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.

Snapshot report.
================

Me: agc@uts.amdahl.com (Alistair G. Crooks)

Source: tar_files, 15th January 1994, from agate.berkeley.edu

Base version of NetBSD: 0.9.

Upgrade from previous -current: yes, 09 Jan tar_files from agate.berkeley.edu

Machine specifics: 386DX/40, 8MB RAM, 340 MB IDE (Conner), VGA card

Other software: Mark Weaver's shared XFree86 2.0, from 1 December 1994.
(from ftp.iastate.edu I think).

Tar files integrity: good.

Additional things to do during upgrade: none

Any warnings during compilation: yes, but not noted

Any problems during make: /usr/src/libexec/Makefile contains reference
to cron which no longer exists. Fix is simply to remove the reference
to cron.

Observations: nothing out of the ordinary.

Notes:

1. kernel seems robust - maybe it's just me, but I'm very happy with
the latest versions of -current which seem very much more robust than
straight 0.9. I don't have much space so the shared libs are really nice.

2. Continuing qualms about IDE drive getting rubbish on occasions, but
it's probably something stupid that I did.

3. Can't get Novell NE2000-clone card recognised by probe on boot, but
I haven't tried to do anything about this. Again, probably my fault.

4.  Top shows sather-0.5.3 running, with a size of 19MB!  VM seems to
work well...

5. The shared X libraries are old, and I had to make symbolic links to the
latest versions of the shared libraries, from what it was expecting. No
great hassle.

General verdict: runs like a dream, ceteris paribus and no fairings expected.