Subject: advice on book(s)
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/1994 14:44:38
I saw a book at the book store today that looked very interesting, and
would like to know if anyone had any advice on it (before I spend
$46.50 ;-).  The name of the book was "The Design of the Unix
Operating System", by Maurice J. Bach.

It had a lot of details of kernel internals and how things go
together.  Unfortunately, it looked a little dated, and looked like it
was based mainly on SysV (specifically SVR2 and SVR3), with references
to "BSD" (I assume 4.2 or early 4.3?).  It makes no references to
POSIX that I could find in my quick scan through.

I already have the "daemon book", which, of course, is excellent.  But
it doesn't get real in-depth in all areas, so this other book looked
like an interesting supplement.  On the other hand, I don't want to
pay big bucks for a book that's out of date and doesn't apply at all
to the operating system I'm (ab)using (NetBSD-current).

So, opinions on this book's applicability to NetBSD-current?  Also,
opinions on any other "internals" books that might be of value?  I'm
mainly interested in what the core team and other professional
internals programmers consider vital texts.  Thanks for your input!

				--Michael

FYI, my current library:

"Unix Network Programming", Stevens
"Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment", Stevens
"The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD Unix Operating System",
    Leffler, McKusick, Karels, Quarterman
Miscellaneous C and C++ texts...

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center