Subject: has anyone recently tried to build a distribution floppy?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/1994 09:47:12
Yesterday, my hard drive acquired a bad block right on top of the inode that
holds /bin/sh, so as you can imagine I was instantly hosed.  Once I finally
got everything repaired using old distribution boot disks (a tricky prospect,
since my 0.9 distribution is on 3.5" diskettes, but my bootable floppy is
currently the 5.25" drive (DAMN THE PC!!!), and I didn't feel like ripping
it open and recabling it, so I booted from 0.8), I decided to try to build
a bootable floppy that would make it easier to recover from situations like
this.  However, I discovered that all of the executables present on the
kernel-copy boot floppy have grown, typically 10-20Kb, but halt has bloated
from about 40K to an amazing 100K!  Needless to say, it didn't fit.

So, unless there's a trick here that I'm not aware of, the next distribution
may be very tricky to put together; you may want to put some thought into it
ahead of time.

Getting back to my original problem, how hard is it to boot with a root that
is other than the "a" partition of a drive?  (The OS I used previously had
a dedicated backup root, and choosing different partitions or drives was a
snap.)  Failing that, how about booting from the SCSI ID#1 drive?  (I've got
OS-BS installed, if that simplifies things.)  Thanks.