Subject: RE: 09 Jan -current
To: None <agc@uts.amdahl.com, current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Marc Wandschneider <marcwan@microsoft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/1994 17:50:24
----------
| From: Alistair G. Crooks  <netmail!agc@uts.amdahl.com>
|
|[...]
| I like the new messages from the wd driver.

	on a related note:  is any work being done for this driver in either
	the current kernel or the magnum branch?  it's bad and getting worse,
	almost to the point where i'm recommending that people with ide
	drives should check out linux or freebsd instead for stability's
	sake.

	i'm getting a machine with an 80mb mfm drive in it in a few days,
	and will poke around and see what i can do [provided i can find
	some data books], but i'd be interested to see if anybody else
	is doing something with this driver.

| The VM changes look good - this is running on 4MB memory, remember,
| and, while it may not be fast, it does work.

	does anybody know how awful unix is under a 16mhz 386sx?  the
	new machine i'm getting will be one of these, and while it won't
	be used for much beyond 'hrm, if i put this line in the kernel,
	what happens?', i'd like any test to take less than three hours :-)

							marc 'em.