Subject: Re: SETUIDSCRIPTS
To: Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com>
From: Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1994 23:07:15
On Thu, 13 Jan 1994, Roland McGrath wrote:

> So I can't have setuid shell scripts at all??  That is a moby lose.  I
> really don't give a rat's ass about security on my machine;
> reliability isn't even too vital, but I need to be able to write
> ridiculous shell scripts!  How else is one supposed to survive unix?

So write a wrapper (in C) that runs setuid and execs the script...Or,
perhaps, use Perl, which will emulate setuid scripts if the kernel
doesn't support it...There are a few ways around it...

I use the Perl method...It works good for me...

Later...

Jason R. Thorpe                thorpej@cs.orst.edu                   737-9533
OSU CS Support                    CSWest Room 12                     737-2552
      'These are my opinions and not necessarily those of my employer.'