Subject: purchasing decisions
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1994 13:18:21
I have a little bit of money to spend to upgrade my system and would
like some help from those who know.

I am going to get an EISA SCSI controller.  I'm told the Ultrastor 24F
works fine with NetBSD-current.  The cheapest I can get a new one so
far is $349.  There is a Buslogic 742A that I can get for about $255,
also.  Is this Buslogic card as good as the Ultrastor 24F (full EISA
busmastering) and former Adaptec 1742?  And, will the Buslogic work
with NetBSD-current as it stands?  Any comments on which EISA SCSI
card to buy?  (I haven't been able to find any unsold new 1742's
laying around anywhere.)

I'm thinking about buying the Maxtor 7340s 340meg SCSI drive to go
with it.  Sound like a good drive?

Last, does anyone have any experience with these 486DLC upgrade chips
that give 486 capabilities to old 386 systems?  Do these actually
work, or will I run into endless problems with NetBSD?

Oh, even laster...  I assume the only thing that causes problems above
16meg is the hard drive controller.  If I install an EISA hard drive
controller, I won't have any problems going over 16meg of RAM,
correct?  My (16-bit ISA) ethernet card isn't going to need to access
memory directly, causing problems, is it?

Thanks for any and all help!

				--Michael

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center