Subject: is this fixed?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Dejan Vucinic <dejan@cdfsga.fnal.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/1994 19:01:38
Eeek!

I didn't change anything. I just added another drive. And suddenly, I'm
able to bring my box to a halt. I run X. I open two xterms. I open two
frames of emacs. I compile some code with gcc in one of the xterms.
First time goes fine. Second time goes fine. Third time it never finishes.
It starts using 99% of the CPU for something (you can watch the mouse
cursor being redrawn, pixel by pixel! :) and then slowly dies.
I did it four times, exactly the same way. Exactly the same file. I am
doing this same thing for about two months now, and I had an uptime of
couple of weeks at one time. I am ABSOLUTELY certain that the immediate
cause for this thing is yesterday's adding of the second drive. Nothing
else changed on my box. I am running kernel picked from sun-lamp about
two months ago. Was there a known bug at that time that could cause this?

Thanks,
Dejan