Subject: Jan 5 performance/freeze XFree86-2.0 problem
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Tom Crockett <tmc@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1994 16:38:25
Hi, I've been able to bring my system up to date (jan 5),
 ---Thank you, Adrian, :)
and have made a number of kernels.  First thing I noticed
is that the kernel size is considerably diminished. Yeah!
The next thing however, is that while running XFree86 2.0
with Mark's XFree86 shared libs he had uploaded to sun-lamp back
in Nov. (and what I've been using since then,) is an occasional
but frequent, ummm, performance hit.  Everything stops.
No disk activity, unable to move the mouse.  Eventually
the system (most of the time, sometimes I haven't been willing
to wait 15 -30 minutes) comes back and what was being running
will complete its transition.
I've experienced this with kernels made with and without
MATH_EMULATE and MFS.
System is a 486 DX2 50mhz, 8MB AMI motherboard.  I'm not running
any scsi or ethernet.

---Tom