Subject: Re: PC-speaker driver working, now what ???
To: S|ren Schmidt <sos@login.dkuug.dk>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@whisker.hubbard.ie>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1994 20:10:22
> So I now have the driver that uses the built in speaker as an
> "real" audio device. It plays raw and .au format soundfiles with
> reasonable sound quality.

Cool!

> 4. We need a name for this driver, speaker is allready taken :-(

I would recommend /dev/audio - if you have a sound card, you'll
use /dev/audio to talk to your card (or /dev/dsp) and you won't
care about the speaker.  If all you have is a speaker, you still
get your /dev/audio and applications don't have to be special
cased or given command line options.

> 5. What kind of device interface ? /dev/audio sun style or
>    something more esoteric...

Sun .au style, definately.  This is how the current driver works!

				Jordan