Subject: Re: sun-lamp crashes...
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@nobozo.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1993 21:13:39
>for those of you who wonder about sun-lamp's crashes:

>lamp is generally rebooted when i wake up, and go reboot it.
>it's normally set up so that it'll reboot no matter what, but
>sometimes that doesn't work...  (i've showed up once or twice
>and had it sitting at a "this is not a system disk prompt",
>and also sometimes it locks up completely...)

>"instability"?  i'm not sure if i'd call it instability per se;
>i've yet to see another machine as heavily loaded...  last night,
>before lamp crashed it was averaging 250 interrupts per second:
>100 clock, 50 disk, 100 ethernet...  sound nuts?  yes, it is...

>*sigh*  i'm thinking about "just queueing" mail, and then sending
>it when the queue is run, but that would delay mail delivery...

>thoughts?

>chris

Yes.  You should be doing your intense I/O (suping, serving, anonymous
ftp) on a seperate server machine, and dedicate a machine to
development that isn't serving all the network requests.

Of course, that's the ideal scenario, and it's not quite as easy as it
sounds when you're using your own equipment.  But if you could dig up
an old 386 to serve the foreign net users, that would probably take a
large load off sun-lamp.

				--Michael

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center