Subject: Re: Recommended way to detect post-0.9
To: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@nobozo.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1993 18:09:04
> Let me rephrase "all versions of NetBSD".  I meant to say "all release
> versions of NetBSD".  As long as "NetBSD" gets changed, that is fine.
> Right now, I have modified XFree86 to check for "NetBSD > 1993070".
> If anyone has a better way of doing this, I'd like to hear it.

it gets changed for releases.

> The only complication is the problem of whether -ll should be included
> for programs using lex.  Since Makefiles don't have access to param.h,
> it would be nice if a bmake variable contained the value in "NetBSD".

umm, the simple answer to that is that if you're using lex,
you should *always* like liwht libl.a...  In cases where it's not
"really" needed, you just lose a tiny bit of time linking, and
no space diff in the linked executable.  in cases where it *is*
needed, you're covered.

cgd