Subject: Re: 23 minutes to compile my kernel over here....
To: Greg Tanaka <glt@cco.caltech.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@nobozo.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/1993 01:13:42
> Not only do compile take longer, but everything else seems to be slower.
> Maybe it is just me, but my X stuff also seems to be slower.  Is it because
> the shared lib programs take up more memory or something?  I haven't
> actually measured the performance of programs but it is just a feeling...

yeah, i'm coming to the conclusion that shared libs are *rather*
slower than statically linked binaries...

it could be that the ld.so implementation needs some *serious*
optimization...

There's also the possibility that, if your libs and binaries aren't
made properly, you could be eating *more* vm than before.
If the last time you built the world, you saw lots of warnings
about the "rrs relocations" or whatever, this could definitely be
the case...

chris