Subject: Re: working rarpd?
To: None <aw2t+@andrew.cmu.edu, roland@frob.com>
From: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/1993 20:23:13
> Mycroft told me in the past that rarpd could not work because the
> kernel support for writing raw ethernet did not work.

Nay...

> I made some small hack rarpd needed to look like it would work properly.

The problem for rarpd is something else. rarpd is trying to use SIOCGIFADDR
to get the interface's hardware address.

That is NOT supported over a bpf descriptor, and rarpd should
(properly) be modified to use SIOCGIFCONF. Yes, it's disgusting since
you have to sift through all the interfaces... but it is the correct
way.

There is no other supported way to get the hardware address from an
interface. This information is straight from McCanne...