Subject: Re: emacs 19.22 with shared libraries
To: None <roland@frob.com>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1993 13:00:44
> For reasons beyond my comprehension, you need to extract brk.o and
> cerror.o from /usr/lib/libc.a and link them into emacs statically.

brk() was broken in libc.so until two days ago. You may want to try with
up-to-date libc sources.

> Before I did this, emacs built and dumped fine, but the dumped emacs
> bombed.  It seems that when the first shared library function called

I would recommend not using these "dump" mechanisms together with shared
libraries (in fact I would not recommend using emacs at all, but I probably
won't convince you:-)). It is *not* guaranteed that all of text and data
items will load at exactly the same locations on each invocation. In practice,
this is the case as long as the shared libraries don't change. You might get
away with it by re-dumping emacs each time you install a new shared library
that it uses. Also, be aware of your LD_LIBRARY_PATH and ldconfig setup.

-pk