Subject: Re: problems w/current
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Marc Evans - Contract Software Hacker <marc@Synergytics.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1993 18:00:36
Hi -

I am finally getting around to putting in some time on getting the PMAX side of
things ported. I am finding that the sources are not designed to facilitate a
non-native bootstrap. By that I mean that I don't have an OS compatable with
netBSD with which to attempt to perform builds (I don't have Ultrix).

Other OS environments I have worked with usually provide special make rules
which allow a non-native bootstrap build. I see that usr.bin/make has a
Makefile.dist which appears to be a good starting place. It would appear that I
need to modify the pathnames.h and the share/mk/*.mk files in order to generate
native tools from the netBSD sources which can then be used to essentially cross
compile.

Has anybody else been through this process yet? If so, I am missing something
important? If what I am seeing is accurate, should I consider trying to do this
in a clean manner, so that changes could be merged in the main pool to aid the
next person trying to do similiar things?

- Marc
X| | Software Consultant  |   Synergytics    |-------------------------------.
X| | Marc@Synergytics.Com |  21 Hinds Lane   | Specializing in:              |
X| |   (603) 635-3857     | Pelham, NH, USA  | - Unix internals/applications |
X|=|______________________|    03076-3013    | - X11 internals/applications  |