Subject: Re: Problems (of course)
To: None <Mark_weaver@brown.edu>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1993 20:48:27
(oops - I forgot to originally CC: current-users to this)

> > I would like to see another mailing list (e.g. netbsd-current-patches) where
> > the daily or weekly diffs are mailed.
> > Another possibility would be a mailserver that can mail diffs between
> > any two NetBSD-current releases -- so one can update from 20.NOV to 2.DEC
> > with a single set of patches.
> > This would allow people that can't use SUP to upgrade easily and also should
> > be cheaper (less network traffic) than SUP.
>
> I suspect that this would be a heavy load on sun-lamp, which is probably
> why they don't want to do it.

Could one of the sun-lamp mirrors do it? I believe gatekeeper and another
European site were mirroring -current...

Or a machine would mirror tar_files every Sunday, then extract last-weeks
and -current's, then do a recursive diff between the two. We could then
grep && sed (or perl) for files to be removed, and voila! a happy system.

In fact, it could be even better if doc/CHANGES files had a string
suitable for a pre-req patch line...

Any volunteers?