Subject: RE: scsi controllers
To: None <marcwan@microsoft.com>
From: Charles Hannum <mycroft@duality.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/1993 15:46:07
   However, the new magnum branch has generic ISA bounce buffers as
   far as I've been told, so you might want to wait a few weeks.

Let's not get too wild in our claims, eh?  Bounce buffers for
bus-mastering controllers are a bit more complicated, and really I
haven't worked on it (yet).

I think the Adaptec 1742, Bustek 742, and UltraStor ?4f will all work
well in an EISA box, but for ISA, well, you're kind of screwed.
(Actually, I know the Adaptec and UltraStor will; I've used them
myself on EISA machines with 32MB.)

Note that with the current vfs_bio implementation, even with 32MB the
buffer cache will always be < 16MB and so file system I/O will
actually work fine.  The problem you'll run into is with raw I/O,
namely for fsck(8).

Hell, even that will probably `work', as it's the first thing run on
booting.  (This is no doubt why some people are convinced that it
works right, even though it doesn't.  They just haven't been bitten
yet.)  But I can't advise playing roulette.