Subject: RE: NetBSD-current
To: None <netbsd-current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu,>
From: Marc Wandschneider <marcwan@microsoft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/1993 07:23:31
----------
| From:  <netmail!kue@zerberus.gud.siemens.co.at>
|
| As I decided to upgrade to NetBSD-current I would like to know if any kind
| soul can give me some hints on what to do to get current up. I have plain 0.9
| running and will ftp all from the tar_files directory.

	The following is what I did:

	1. Delete the old source tree, saving what I wanted to (a bunch
	of files moved around, and just unpacking the new one over the old
	will cause some problems)

	2. Unpacked the new source tree.

	3. ran the following sequence of commands:

cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install
cd /usr/src/include; make && make install
   setenv LDSTATIC -static
   setenv NOPIC
cd /usr/src/lib/libc; make && make install
cd /usr/src/gnu/lib/libmalloc; make && make install
   cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas; make && make install
   cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld; make && make install
# You'll probably get some barfage from the above because ld.so won't
# build yet.  Ignore it and install ld anyway.
   cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc; make && make install
   unsetenv NOPIC LDSTATIC
   cd /usr/src/lib ; make && make install
   cd /usr/src/gnu/lib ; make && make install
cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld; make && make install
   cd /usr/src; make && make install

	NOTE: At some point, you might very well come across an unresolved
	external __DYNAMIC in crt0.o.  If this happens, edit the makefile
	for crt0.o (lib/csu/i386) and remove the -DDYNAMIC flag)
	make && make install.  Then put the flag back in the makefile
	(but don't rebuild it until the natural order of things dicates
	that it happen)

	There were some bugs with tsort.  A patch was posted a few days
	ago and again this morning.  I can send it to you if you have
	problems with it.

						Marc 'em.