Subject: Re: Missed interrupts
To: Michael Graff <explorer@vorpal.com>
From: None <bachesta@genesis.Data-IO.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 11/29/1993 09:53:00
	id AA02888; Mon, 29 Nov 93 09:36:33 PST
	id <m0p4CUs-000LTIa@pilchuck.data-io.com>; Mon, 29 Nov 93 09:34 PST
	id <AA12673@aviator.cc.iastate.edu>; Mon, 29 Nov 1993 11:32:22 -0600
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1993 11:34:19 -0600
From: Michael Graff <explorer@vorpal.com>
To: current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
Subject: Missed interrupts

>My machine is running just fine (I'm typing this on the terminal in the
>kitchen) other than the keyboard is frozen.

>This happens more under X for some folk, more when I'm using the modem
>(or one of my roomates is using it) but I can never get it to lock when I
>really want it to.

I have an old ESDI system that had this problem in a realy bad way.
I know there was a number of problems. It occured twice for
each boot up when I was running NetBSD-0.9 and XFree version 1.3
One lock up was from the syslogd problem and the other was from
an unknown origin. It got much better when I went to XFree 2.0
although it still occured. I think there may still be a problem with
syslogd. I was able to work around the problem by changing the
/etc/syslog.conf file to use /dev/vga instead of /dev/console for the
"*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit" entry. I havn't had any
lock ups since.

The interesting thing is it never occured on my other system that
ran with some old MFM drives.

Thanks

Jim Bachesta