Subject: Re: How to install?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/27/1993 18:45:45
Marc Wandschneider <marcwan@microsoft.com> writes:
> 	Here is what I had to use:
>
> cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install
> cd /usr/src/include; make && make install
>    setenv LDSTATIC -static
>    setenv NOPIC
> cd /usr/src/lib/libc; make && make install
> cd /usr/src/gnu/lib/libmalloc; make && make install
>    cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas; make && make install
>    cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld; make && make install
> # You'll probably get some barfage from the above because ld.so won't
> # build yet.  Ignore it and install ld anyway.
>    cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc; make && make install
>    unsetenv NOPIC LDSTATIC
>    cd /usr/src/lib ; make && make install
>    cd /usr/src/gnu/lib ; make && make install
> cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld; make && make install
>    cd /usr/src; make && make install

Did anyone else have troubles building lib/libc/regex ?

I made the stupid misstake of not ensuring that lib/libc/obj was empty
before re-building with the current sources and ended up with a libc
that contained the regcomp() from lib/libc/gen/regex (0.9 release)
which broke sed(1) completely!

Guess what?  You need sed(1) to build lib/libc/regex :-)
I installed the gnu sed to get things going again...

The normal make procedure barfed because I'd earlier done a make
install in gnu/lib so /usr/include contained gnu/lib/libregex/regex.h
which lib/libc/regex didn't like at all.  I found it necessary to do a
make in lib/libc/regex, then copy regex.h to /usr/include then go back
to libc and do a make

Perhaps one should avoid a make install in gnu/lib/libregex ?

I've now done a newfs and loaded up the Nov 20 tar files again.
BTW, none of the tar_files contains the top level Makefile :-)

--sjg