Subject: Re: Bells & Whistles for NetBSD
To: None <bachesta@genesis.Data-IO.COM, hasty@netcom.com>
From: Amancio Hasty Jr <hasty@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/26/1993 11:53:39
Hi,

>Since you have posted this message to the "current" group is it
>safe to assume the linux sound drivers willl port to NetBSD-current?
>If so how difficult is it build into the kernel?

The Linux sound driver is a multiple OS driver with minor effort it
works under ISC, SCO, FreeBSD and NetBSD-0.9 which is what I am using
right.

The documentation includes instructions on how to build the driver
for freebsd so follow them to build the sound driver under NetBSD-0.9.

You need to build the "configure" program to configure your sound
driver so type something: make -f makefile.freebsd configure it should
build "configure" and run the program then just answer the questions.
The output of the program is an include file, local.h.

cd to the freebsd directory and the Readme file for instructions on how
to configure your kernel for the sound driver. Is all standard stuff
for adding a driver to the *bsd system.

Currently, in my other xterm I am playing a cool midi file "mp chase".
To my left I have a Roland PC-200 keyboard, currently I can only use it
under DOS but I hope that in the future to start hitting the notes under
*bsd systems. (the roland is a midi keyboard)

BTW: I have my GUS connected to my 100w stereo system :-)

	Happy Jamming,
	Amancio