Subject: Re: CVS & Perl in distribution... please
To: Sean McDermott <spm@staff.cc.purdue.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1993 16:23:37

>> >If this is the general attitude of the core team, why isn't NetBSD just
>> >the kernel sources and the compiler then ?
>>
>> I'm kinda split on this issue...
>>
>> Perl is something I ALWAYS recompile every time I rebuild, but perhaps it
>> shouldn't be in THE tree...
>>
>> I raised a few eyebrows with tcpdump moving from othersrc to src...  I could
>> see CVS and sup as part of the src tree, but tcpdump, perl, mh, etc. might b
>> better left in othersrc...

>I have to agree here......if we try to support EVERY unix utility out there
>we will go crazy.  I think in actuality some things, like /usr/games,
>should be moved out of the standard source tree.....

>Something like the old /usr/packages on ref......

I would certainly like to see all the games dirs removed from the src
trees and moved into othersrc.  I don't have room for them and it's
rather annoying to have to re-rm the damn things every time I get a
new distribution.  What's more annoying is not being able to do a
world build without going in and editing the Makefiles each time to
remove references to the games dirs after I've removed them.

Perl I find very useful.  It would be nice to have system scrips
written in it, and have it provided.  It doesn't change nearly as
often as the GNU tools, so there wouldn't be a lot of changes of it to
reacquire after the initial.  On the other hand, it's not essential,
and I don't see any reason why it can't remain in my /usr/local dir
for the time being.

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center