Subject: Re: CVS & Perl in distribution... please
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@alice.wonderland.org>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1993 15:17:27
>> And pretty soon it is
>> 	(1) unmaintainable because we keep having to upgrade tools
>> 	    when new versions come out
>> 	(2) the sources become un-ftpable because they are so large.
>>
>> Perl compiles out of the box. I don't think it needs to be in there.

>If this is the general attitude of the core team, why isn't NetBSD just
>the kernel sources and the compiler then ?

I'm kinda split on this issue...

Perl is something I ALWAYS recompile every time I rebuild, but perhaps it
shouldn't be in THE tree...

I raised a few eyebrows with tcpdump moving from othersrc to src...  I could
see CVS and sup as part of the src tree, but tcpdump, perl, mh, etc. might be
better left in othersrc...

--Michael

--
Michael Graff    Iowa State University Computation Center      Project Vincent
215 Durham                voice: (515) 294-4994           explorer@iastate.edu