Subject: libc problem
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1993 12:46:53
I supped my sources yesterday, updating everything from the current
tar file from the weekend before last that I originally updated my
system with.  Everything was working peachy except for weird job
control problems with editors and _ctype_ problems with building top
dynamically.

Now, after supping yesterday and rebuilding the libraries, I get this
error all over the place (when a program gets an error):

[root@stingray]~# ldd `which ls`
ld.so: Undefined symbol "___strerror" called from /usr/lib/libc.so.1.1
at 0x205a768

[root@stingray]src/bin/sh# make depend
cc -O -DSHELL -I. -I/local/src/bin/sh   -static
/local/src/bin/sh/mksyntax.c -o mksyntax
perror.o: Undefined symbol ___strerror referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I was linked against libc.so.1.1 for everything that I know of, and
all the builds were going against 1.1 also.  However, it seems a
function or something disappeared in libc in the last week and a half.
I thought things weren't supposed to be removed without changing the
major version number.

I'm now rebuilding my libc completely from a make clean from a sup I
did this morning.  *crossed fingers*

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center