Subject: problem re: J.Brezak's XF2.0 shared lib patches [yes, I'm using the EXPERIMENTAL linker]
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Tim Chase <tim@introl.introl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1993 21:26:36
Hello,

I've been running XFree 2.0 with Uwe Arndt's shared lib patches for
awhile now (with a few hax of my own so the .sa files got linked as
well).  I decided to try John Brezak's but had a problem.  When linking
a toolkit-type program, I get lots of RSS text relocation...  errors
and the programs just core dump.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?  As mentioned, I am
running a ld that's built with -DEXPERIMENTAL.  I'm also running the
gas that has the .type patches (if it matters).

Here's the output from linking the xedit program:
	ld: RRS text relocation at 0x1a33 (symbol _asciiTextWidgetClass)
	ld: RRS text relocation at 0x19fd (symbol _labelWidgetClass)
	ld: RRS text relocation at 0x19d2 (symbol _asciiTextWidgetClass)
	ld: RRS text relocation at 0x19a9 (symbol _labelWidgetClass)
	ld: RRS text relocation at 0x194a (symbol _panedWidgetClass)
	ld: RRS text relocation at 0x1932 (symbol _panedWidgetClass)
	ld: RRS text relocation at 0x2312 (symbol _asciiTextWidgetClass)
	ld: RRS text relocation at 0x22a2 (symbol _commandWidgetClass)
	ld: RRS text relocation at 0x224b (symbol _FMT8BIT)

Non-toolkit programs (i.e. ico) work just fine.  Any ideas?

							- Tim Chase
							  tim@introl.com