Subject: Updating to current, and ps(1) (was Re: X problems)
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1993 11:36:33
>Date: Mon, 22 Nov 93 09:53:19 EST
>From: "John F. Woods" <jfw@ksr.com>
>Sender: owner-current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
>
>> My kernel is netBSD-0.9
>> How can I upgrade to NetBSD-current?
>
>FTP the latest tar.gz files(*), unpack them, figure out the right sequence in which
>to gingerly rebuild things (would the author of the latest instructions care to
>repeat them?), install it in /netbsd.new and off you go.  If it works, remember to
>move /netbsd to /netbsd.old and /netbsd.new to /netbsd and reboot, else ps and other
>things will break mysteriously (GRRR!  Has anyone considered porting (or
>reimplementing) CMU's table() system call to end that foolishness?)

Alternatively, the name of the kernel used to boot the machine would
probably be a good thing to add to the kernfs, as /kern/kernelname or
something.

Another question:

Is the ps command broken in the 0.9 distribution?  The TT field is
always ??  whenever I run it, whether as root or as a normal user.
Recompiling it didn't fix the problem.  I have re-config'ed and remade
my kernel, but kvm_mkdb and dev_mkdb are still run at boot time, so
that shouldn't be a problem.  I've taken a cursory look at devname.c,
but it looks fine to my (admittedly ignorant) eyes.  Could the problem
be in kvm_mkdb or dev_mkdb?  The w command does work (i.e., can find
the terminal), so utmp is being updated properly at least.

This is a nit, but irritating nonetheless.
--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer                              voice: (617)461-4030