Subject: Re: frequent kernel panicing
To: Marc Wandschneider <marcwan@microsoft.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/19/1993 13:13:36
>Mooo!

>	I have been running current as of last friday since last friday.

>	However, I have now begun to notice something that makes doing
>	any serious work a little troublesome:

>	The kernel panics during ANY relatively long (> 2 minutes)
>	build.

>	After a certain point during the install last friday, some of the
>	GNU stuff just wouldn't build because of all these, and I had
>	to install what was already there.  An attempt to compile X last
>	night generated 4 more before I gave up, and a simple attempt
>	at nethack died this morning (compiling one-liners and smaller
>	programs such as top seem to work however...)

>	Sitting down and watching the build closesly (these sudden panics/
>	reboots happen over a _VERY_ short period of time) shows that
>	some panic message is printed out, and the machine very quickly
>	is rebooting.

>	At first I thought there might be something wacked out with the
>	filesystems or whatever, but now I am entirely unsure---could there
>	be some problem with some of the new tools?  I am runni>ng this on
>	a system with IDE drives...

Are you still running your 0.9 kernel?  I was having the same problem
trying to get current libs to build.  Someone suggested using a
current kernel, so I built a new kernel.  My system has never been so
stable since.  I've 2-3 builds going simultaneously for the last 36
hours, non-stop, and the machine hasn't even paused to take a breath.
I've never had this kind of stability even with the "normal" version
releases.  Obviously someone is doing something right.  Thanks guys
for a job well done!

Bottom line: try building and installing a new kernel.  Then go back
and try to finish building the rest of the stuff.

Incidentally, I run with 2 IDE hard drives, both completely NetBSD.  I
used to get the occasional hard drive hang that has been plaguing
people for centuries here (it seems).  I also compiled in that wd.c
patch that someone posted here a few days ago, and it must be the fix,
cause I haven't had *any* hard drive problems since.  Has this been
incorporated into current?  If not, please do so.

				--Michael

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center