Subject: XFree2.0 S3 Server causes reboot
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Craig M. Chase <chase@pine.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1993 12:46:48
There was some discussion on this thread about system reboots.
Unfortunately I just joined the mailing list missed the beggining of
the XFree86-2.0 thread.

Anyway, here is my situation.  I have a 486DX-33 running a kernel from
Nov 6th sources.  I have 16 Meg of RAM and an AHA SCSI controller.

When XFree86-2.0 starts up the S3 server, I watch the screen go into
graphics mode (blank/black screen), wait.. wait.. disk spin.. and then
the machine boots up.  My guess is that there is a panic of some sort
shortly after the S3 server puts the display into graphics mode.
Unfortunately, since the screen is in graphics mode, the panic message
(if there is one) doesn't get displayed on the screen.

I'm at a loss as to figure out how to track down the problem.  The old
0.9 kernel works OK with the S3 server (although the configurations
are slightly different).

Can anyone suggest a method by which I can see the panic message that
is rebooting my machine?

Thanks,

Craig