Subject: Shared libs, X and the like
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Peter Galbavy <P.Galbavy@wonderland.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1993 10:05:21
I have been using the X build files that Uwe Arndt posted here a couple
of days ago with XFree86-2.0 and they work (as expected), but I noticed
the obvious differences between the current system and the SunOS way of
doing it. Uwe pointed out the non-linking of the *.sa.m.n files by the
linker, so I will leave that, but the other thing that the normal sunos
dynamic linking model does is have a run path for the dynamic libs.

When I link an X program, I have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the
/usr/X11R5/lib directory. On my Sun's this path gets "built-in" to the
executable at link time. On SunOS 4.1.x there is a list of places, which
is built from the -L.... entries, and on SunOS 5.x it is done with the
-R... or LD_RUN_PATH environment variable.

I may bee using my enormous ignorance again and missing something here
:-) But am I correwct is assuming that these "features" are all currently
missing ?

--
Peter Galbavy				e-mail: P.Galbavy@wonderland.org
Wonderland				  work: P.Galbavy@micromuse.co.uk

	  "And you will know exactly who you are, forever,
		by knowing what it is that you love."