Subject: Re: Shared libs, X and the like
To: None <P.Galbavy@wonderland.org>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1993 11:56:16
> When I link an X program, I have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the
> /usr/X11R5/lib directory. On my Sun's this path gets "built-in" to the
> executable at link time. On SunOS 4.1.x there is a list of places, which
> is built from the -L.... entries, and on SunOS 5.x it is done with the
> -R... or LD_RUN_PATH environment variable.
>
> I may bee using my enormous ignorance again and missing something here
> :-) But am I correwct is assuming that these "features" are all currently
> missing ?

This has been done differently in NetBSD. You use the ldconfig(8) utility
to configure a set of (host dependent) directories which are automatically
searched for shared libraries, without the need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Note that this set of directories is also assumed to be secure (ie. under full
control by the local admin), so that setuid programs (xterm) will not be
compromised.

-pk