ATF-devel archive

Re: timeout

On Mon Feb 21 2011 at 20:57:13 +0000, Julio Merino wrote:
> 2011/2/21 Antti Kantee <pooka%cs.hut.fi@localhost>:
> > hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to set the default timeout in a config file (the one
> > which is currently 300 seconds)?
>
> Nope, not at the moment.  I have a plan to fix this properly in
> Kyua[1], but if you need this feature I can probably hack something
> quickly for atf-run.  Quickly means: add a per-test-suite "timeout"
> property so that you can define a value in /etc/atf/NetBSD.conf.

No, I don't desperately need it.

> 1: http://code.google.com/p/kyua/issues/detail?id=5

That makes sense, although I'm not sure how easy it is to autocalibrate
the test timeout.  It can depend on various forms of cpu speed, i/o
capacity and memory capacity (cf. test causes heavy paging).

IIRC at some point we were talking about the test operator being able to
specify "test run severeness".  The tests could then be written against
a testsuite-supplied deadline, and the hard deadline could be something
like n^2+2n+1 (or maybe something less binomial ;).  These days I find
myself writing iterative tests against the clock, because it's much
better on slow platforms than tests written against a loop counter.

--
älä karot toivorikkauttas, kyl rätei ja lumpui piisaa