Subject: Installation problems...
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Berend Ozceri <bo24+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: amiga
Date: 04/21/1996 02:51:25
First some relevant background: I have installed NetBSD before, back in
the days when the installation root file was installed to floppies and
not directly to the hard drive (i.e. the swap partition) (also, the
system in question is an A4000/A3640/16M RAM/345M HD/200M HD/CyberVision
64/A2065 Ethernet)

Anyway, after that experimental install of NetBSD (in which I had gotten
everything including X working), I deleted it because I did not have the
luxury of enough disk space. Today I tried installing NetBSD again. I
created the root, swap and usr partitions and set the filesystem types
correctly (double checked). Then I got the inst11.fs image and dumped it
to the swap partition as the installation docs say. Then I booted the
supplied kernel "netbsd" using "loadbsd -m15872 b netbsd" (the -m15872
is to protect my MapROM'ed Kickstart image). The kernel booted and as it
was going through the cards on the Zorro bus, it panicked on the
CyberVision 64. So I figured I'd get a different generic kernel image
and look at that problem later. As I was looking for new kernels, I
found a new and revised CyberVision 64 kernel
(netbsd-cv64console-bin11). I got that and a generic kernel
(netbsd.generic-1.0). When I booted this new kernel, everything worked
fine and the console did come up on the CyberVision 64. When asked for
the root device, I entered sd1* and I ran into a new problem; after
writing a short message about the miniroot (I can't exactly read the
message as it scrolls away too quickly), the kernel keeps writing
"Process (pid 1) got signal 11" over and over. If I boot with the other
generic kernel, the same thing happens. If I supply sd1 (instead of
sd1*) as the root partition, I get:

swfree errno 16
panic: swapinit swfree 0

No matter what I've tried I haven't gotten past this point which is
really frustrating since I've done a full NetBSD install before (I just
didn't keep it around because I didn't have enough disk space).

I would really appreciate if anyone can help me.

Thanks,

Berend Ozceri
Carnegie Mellon University