Subject: PPP and DNS
To: None <amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark C. Gay <markg@teleport.com>
List: amiga
Date: 03/31/1996 14:57:42
I've been reconfiguring my system (Amiga 3000) in the process of
upgrading to netbsd1.1.  Everything seems to be working, but I can't
seem to get my ppp connection to recognize the name server address my
internet provider uses.

I needed to totally reconfigure my NetBSD HD partitions so I started from
scratch instead of trying to upgrade.  I backed up everything in /etc
and restored the files after I had 1.1 up and running.  I can establish
a PPP connection but the name resolution no longer works.

I recompiled the kernel with the following options

#
# Networking options
#
options         INET            # IP networking support (Required)
#options        ISO             # ISO Networking support
#options        TPIP            # ARGO TP networking support
#options        CCITT           # CCITT X.25
#options        NS              # Xerox XNS
#options        EON             # ISO CLNL over IP
options         GATEWAY         # Packet forwarding >>>> I added this <<<<
#options        DIRECTED_BROADCAST      # Broadcast across subnets
#options        NSIP            # XNS over IP

#pseudo-device  sl                      # slip  >>> I took this out <<<
pseudo-device   ppp                     # ppp
pseudo-device   view 10                 # views
pseudo-device   pty 16                  # pseudo terminals
pseudo-device   loop                    # network loopback
#pseudo-device  bpfilter 2              # berkeley packet filters
#pseudo-device  tun 2

still no luck.

Is there something I took out that I shouldn't have or something that
I should have added back in that I didn't?

Any ideas on what might be happening would be appreciated.

Please CC: any replies to mark@etp.com

--Mark

mark@etp.com  <--prefered email